9th Grade Honors English
Google Classroom Link: https://classroom.google.com/c/MTQ5MDcyMDA4MTE2?cjc=fjfi5s3 (students only)
Parents, if you would like added as a guardian of your child on Google Classroom, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.Mrs. Jessica Keim
(814)447-5529 ext. 2205
In ninth grade, students focus on analyzing various texts and using evidence from the texts to support their ideas in writing. Students will be asked to examine an author’s reasoning, arguments, claims, and counterclaims. It is expected that students entering this ninth grade English class are motivated readers and writers.
- Improve writing abilities
- Establish strategies to aid in reading comprehension
- Expand upon oral communication
- Better interpret what is read
- Binder (at least 1”)
- Writing utensil
- looseleaf paper
Students are expected to arrive to class on time and prepared. Students who are late are expected to have a pass. Three tardies will result in a write-up. If a student misses a class, it is his/her responsibility to get the missed assignments and turn them in. Late work will be accepted only in the case of an excused absence. Tests will be made up in class on the first day the student returns to class, and the student will be responsible for making up work missed during that class period. Students will be required to complete reading assignments, both inside and outside of class. Independent work, group work and partner work are all important aspects of this class. Students are expected to remain on task in all settings. It is expected for students to put their best effort into their assignments.
I will grade homework, classwork, participation, editing assignments, writing assignments, quizzes, tests, and projects.
What to expect:
Students will be reading a variety of texts: short stories, nonfiction articles, novels, poetry, etc. Students will participate in class discussions, group discussions, and presentations. Much of the course is completed through Nearpod and Google Classroom. There will be various writing assignments throughout the year. Vocabulary will be given weekly.
Some of the reading material that is used in ninth grade:
- Various writings by Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass
- West Side Story
- Romiette and Julio
- Romeo and Juliet
- How to Kill a Mockingbird
- Various articles from CNN and other news sources
- All school-wide rules apply.
- Cell phones must be silent and put away. If I see it or hear it, it will be confiscated and sent to the office.
- Raise your hand before speaking or asking a question.
- Purses and materials for other classes must be placed under your desks.
- No foul language will be tolerated.
- Cheating will result in a zero.
- Verbal warning
- Phone call or email home
- Discipline report
Parents - if you would like to be added to Google Classroom, please send me an email at email@example.com.